The Production Technology Department facilities at GMI is located at Komplek Teknologi (Technology Complex) 2 to 4. Each complex holds various advanced machinery and tools for training and development. Currently Production Technology Department (January 2014) are training about 2000 students in various diploma programs.
Friday, June 13, 2014
Design Technology is GMI most valued feature which is an important focus at Production Technology Department. GMI offers highly competitive working readiness in advanced technology in Design Technology focus at Production Technology Department with its competence Technical Training Officers. From high-end machining to advance industrial software, GMI provides students and trainees the environment and discipline to face future production manufacturing industries needs.
Here is an Introduction to Production Technology Department at GMI.
Besides CNC machines, conventional milling and turning machines are used for the basic training year. In the first year of training, trainees are exposed to sheet metal work and conventional machining processes. Further, they are introduced to precision measuring techniques and equipment, materials, heat treatment and testing. All diploma programs in Tool & Die Technology, Mould Technology and Product Design & Manufacturing have similar foundation year contents, before progressing into specialization areas.
Design and development of products and tooling are taught in computer labs which contain widely used CADCAM softwares and high end suites such as CATIA and Solidworks, CAE applications namely Altair Hyperworks suites and MoldFlow. Reverse engineering facilities including Coordinate Measuring Machine are also available to aid in product design and precision measurement activities. Rapid Prototyping facilities are available for producing new products, which can be further used for testing, optimization and small batch production.
All training activities and Final Year projects are carried out similar to actual industrial conditions and manufacturing processes, such as metal stamping and plastic injection moulding, including product design and development. In the second and third years, trainees learn advanced knowledge and skills in machining, including project management to equip them for the final year project, which is the highlight in the final semester. The lab and workshop layouts allows student to fully utilize all facilities for design, machining, assembly and testing activities. Trainees are self reliant and resourceful in their assignments and projects, hence building core competencies in their technical, social and learning skills.
Facilities in Production Technology Department:-
- Conventional & NC Milling Machines – Deckel, Kunzmann, Emco
- Conventional & NC Lathe Machines – Weiler, GDW
- Injection Moulding Machines – Arburg, Demag
- Metal Stamping Press Machine - AIDA
- Precision Surface Grinding Machines – Jung, Jutec, Z&B
- Universal Tool & Cutter Grinding Machines – Michel Deckel
- Universal Cylindrical Grinding Machines – Studer, Tschudin
- 3 Axes High Speed Milling Machines - Roeders
- 3 Axes CNC Milling Machines – DMG, Hermle
- 5 Axes CNC Milling Machine - DMG
- Plastic Flow Analysis Software - Moldflow
- CAE Software: Sheet Metal Forming, Stress-Strain, Kinematics - Hyperworks
- CADCAM Applications: 3D Modeling, CAM Programming – CATIA, Mastercam, Inventor
- Rapid Prototyping Machine – Stratasys FDM
- CNC EDM Die Sinking machines - Charmilles
- CNC Wire Cut Machines - Charmilles
- Coordinate Measuring Machines – Carl Zeiss
- Metrology Laboratory & Equipment – Tesa, Mitutoyo
- Material Testing Laboratory & Metallurgy equipment - Instron
- Heat Treatment equipment- Nabertherm